May 6, 2010

A simple replacement...

I started playing the piano when I was 7 years old. I took lessons all through my school years, did a Grade 8 Royal Conservatory exam (testing in Canada) and I even started a Piano Pedagogy degree in college. I used to play for church services at home, during college and for a couple years after I was married. I never thought I would be without a piano in my home or at least a piano to play on a regular basis.

However, that hasn't been God's plan for me. I have no piano in my home now and I haven't played one in months. But God in his graciousness hasn't left me with a vacuum in my heart. The desire to play the piano and use it to worship God will never leave me; but God has given me a new work to do with my hands that has filled the void that I had when my piano playing was taken away. He has given me a love and creativity for knitting and crocheting.

As I think about it, those hobbies seem simple in comparision to playing the piano, but God is using them to bring glory to himself through me.

I think the main reason for writing all of this is to remind myself that God is still working in me. He still is letting me be used for his glory. I wish I could sit down and play songs that feel and express the joy and worship in my heart for him - I miss that so much! But I realized that taking time to knit a beautiful scarf or fix a blanket for someone can do the same thing. I can practically help someone and give a mercy or love to them as a gift from God. And that is just a much worshipping him as a good hour of expression at the piano.
Heavenly Father, thank you for this sweet reminder. Please use my hands and my creativity for your glory. May I be a blessing to those around me and show your love to them. Help me not to use this gift as a means of self-promotion or pride; but as a joy-giver to you, to me and to those around me. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment