January 18, 2010

The Holy Spirit...

Nate and I listened to a sermon by Joshua Harris last night.

It made me ask a question. How do I respond when life hits a wall? Do I sit down and wait for the wall to move? Or do I pound my head or anything I have into the wall until it moves or I give up in despair? Or do I respond another way?

This sermon was based on 2 Timothy 1:7, For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.  This was something I needed to hear.

I tend to respond to walls that I hit with apathy (the first response). I just sit down and wait. But that isn't the kind of waiting that is being still and knowing God, or the waiting at his feet that Mary did. This is the hopeless, 'oh well', that just gives up and lets everything go. I wish I could say that I knew what the proper biblical response was on this, but I don't. However, I am seeking and praying that God in his sufficiency will show me this (no, I am not sitting down here, just knocking and waiting for the door to be opened). :) I need the power that is mine in Christ's death on the cross for me. But I also need to remember that it is God's power and not mine.

Lord, grant me your power in the Holy Spirit today to not be afraid or despair, but to love and be controlled in my spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment