March 30, 2009

For New Moms...

...and experienced ones too! :o)

I read this in A Mom After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George this weekend. She was talking of the importance of getting Scripture into your children's hearts and minds.

One example was a Jewish tradition that encouraged me to follow suit. "The life of a Jew is religious from the cradle to the grave. In the room occupied by the mother and her newborn infant the rabbi puts a paper containing Psalm 121 in Hebrew." Elizabeth George says, "Imagine the heart, faith, and emotion of the mom who holds her baby and prays Psalm 121 over her newborn."

Here is Psalm 121 for you to read in its entirety:

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.

He will not let you foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is your keeper;
the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

The LORD will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forevermore.


I want to not only pray this for and read this to my children, but I also need it for my soul. When those days get hard and busy, when my emotions or fatigue takes over I need to be reminded that "My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth" and "The LORD will keep your life".

No comments:

Post a Comment