Saturday night I had an idea of teaching my kids the covenants in the Old Testament. One or two for every day leading up to Christmas Day, starting Sunday. We will light a candle for each covenant promise.
Here they are in basic form (I plan to add more substance when I share with my kids):
- Adam & Eve ~ a male child
- Noah ~ a rainbow (promise to never destroy man with a flood so the promise could come)
- Abraham ~ a land & through Abraham's son
- Moses & David ~ a nation (it was to bring the promise by the tribe of Judah through the everlasting throne of David)
- New Covenant ~ no longer a people but a spiritual people (he would live in their hearts)
I want to picture this as Jesus needing presents for his birthday; and like the new covenant is in our hearts and is a spiritual one so Jesus desires a spiritual present from us. To show that there are gifts we can give that are not given with our hands and they aren't wrapped in paper.
My prayer is that this will lead them to understand how it is to trust Christ as their Savior....