August 8, 2011

Accidental Traditions...

As I was thinking over what light God has been showing me lately I realized there is one thing that has always been in my family and never ceases to bring joy. It is the wonderful tradition of tea before bed.

Now I mean hot tea; not iced. Yep, you heard that right; a cup of hot tea on a night when it's 90+ degrees outside and there is only window air conditioning. We are hard core! :) Of course, hot tea on a cold Minnesota winter night is perfect.

Growing up in Canada (or it may just be my family) my sisters and I were considered "Polly" and one of us would 'put the kettle on' around 8 pm and all 7 of us would share a pot of tea. Early in our marriage Nate started sharing a pot of tea with me in the evenings.  The tradition continues to this day - 11 years later. While he prefers the green teas, I am sold on black teas (Earl Gray by Twinings can't be beat). It is our way of calming down before bed and it always helps start conversations.

Rarely a night goes by without Nate asking if I want a cup of tea. So after the kids are in bed the kettle gets filled and turned on and the rest is history.

I see this tradtion as a light or gift from God because it always has a calming effect on our minds and bodies. But it also has been the means that God used to help keep communication strong between us. We want to sit down and talk about the day or schedules or just about anything when we have a cup of tea in our hands.

And this is a means of grace that I am truly thankful for and want to pass on to my kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment