April 14, 2009

The Mercies of Providence...

Think through this:
"Spiritual mercies are of two sorts: such as belong to the essence, the very being of the new creature, without which it must fail, or to its well-being and the comfort of the inner man, without which you cannot live so cheerfully as you would. The mercies of the former kind are absolutely necessary, and therefore put into absolute promises, as you see, 'And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hears, that they shall not depart from me' (Jer. 32.40). But for the rest they are dispensed to us in such measures and at such seasons as the Lord sees fit, and many of His own people live for a long time without them. The donation and continuation of the Spirit, to quicken, sanctify, and unite us with Christ, is necessary, but His joys and comforts are not so. " (From The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel, pg. 195)

I am praying and thinking through this today. It has encouraged me already with the knowledge that I have God and his grace and that is all I need. If God grants more I know it will truly be a mercy I don't deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment