October 2, 2009

Hope???

I hear the phrase "Hope in God" a lot. It is almost a mantra at Bethlehem. :) But I needed to define that hope this morning.

I have been fighting through what kind of schedule I need for homeschooling my kids. I haven't been able to include Nienna in that routine yet, and that has caused havoc (to put it mildly) on our home. I have also been overwhelmed with much more things. So the natural outcome was despair for me. I completely 'checked out' last night. I just sat in a chair knitting when Nate came home - almost in a fog. (I don't EVER recommend this as a way to cope with your struggles!) This morning I was sitting on the couch trying to have some devotions and I was still in the pit of despair.

Nate tried to comfort and encourage me in the Lord, but I wasn't listening. My despair was even to the point of fearing death and dreading heaven. Now I've been there before and it isn't good or right. But I couldn't break free.

Then I opened my Morning and Evening just to go through the motions and this is what I read, "The hope which is laid up for you in heaven" and "Through the Spirit of God the hope of heaven is the most potent force for the product of virtue; it is a fountain of joyous effort, it is the cornerstone of cheerful holiness. The man who has this hope in him goes about his work with vigor, for the joy of the Lord is his strength.".

It hit me like a ton of bricks! My hope was not in this world. I was trying to find my hope in the circumstances around me. I was expecting God to bring my hope out of the ciaos that surrounded me. Find joy in the midst of my sin. Even find happiness in the ability to clean my house.

I saw the light that was truth. My only hope is in the future God has for me. Finding a change in my current circumstances was not the answer. My hope is in the LORD, who gave himself for me, and paid the price of all my sin at Calvary...and everlasting light and life he freely gives. This life is in heaven where we will enjoy the final victory.

So the next time I feel molested by foes within and without I need to remember my hope comes from outside this person and world. It comes from the hope in something better than this world - Christ! I pray I can respond rightly next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment