February 13, 2009

Thoughts this morning...

For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, which are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might, that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the age to come. Eph. 1:15-21

Upon reading these verses the morning I was encouraged as how God answers simple, sometimes seemingly faithless prayers. I have been struggling with the ability to use the gifts God has given me in my personal life. I always see the connection of spiritual gifts with ministry to the body of Christ, but I don't see the connection to the daily monotony of being a mom and homemaker.

My husband reminded me last night that in order for God to use my gifts in the body of Christ I need to have my home in order. Just like the servant with 10 talents was told "you have been faithful in little, have authority over 10 cities" I took this rather flippantly last night. But God in his mercy allowed me to read this passage in Ephesians this morning. So I want to share what his word taught me.

Paul is praying for the Ephesians to receive the gifts of wisdom and knowledge from God. The reason is so they can see, with their hearts, what God has called them to. The hope of that is in the inheritance God has given us (if you look earlier in the chapter that inheritance is guaranteed by God giving us his Holy Spirit) and in the power that is available to us through Christ dying on the cross and being raised from the dead.

This is how I connect it all to the gospel. I can have hope that God will give me a spirit of wisdom to see what he has called me to - namely, taking care of my home and kids. That hope is secure in the fact he has given me his Spirit and his power that raised Christ from the dead.

It seems so simple, yet I struggle so hard against it. I know that is my sinful nature at war with the Spirit in me, but sometimes it is so easy to give into that sin and give up. That is where the gospel comes and lives in me daily. I am truly glad that Christ is working in me to bring me to my completed end, because in myself I do not have that power or desire to go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment