January 26, 2009

Being a Godly mom...

During the service Sunday I was struck by a comment from Pastor Kenny about the Fighter Verses this week (they are the verses that the church memorizes together each week). They are 1 Thessalonians 5: 14-17 ~ And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing.

Now there are many things I need in these verses to be a good, godly mom; however, the phrases admonish the idle and help the weak really made me think. I don't always see the line between idleness/laziness and weakness in my children. I also find that I have a tendency to help the idle and admonish the weak. Or in today's English - do a lazy child's work and make a child do work they don't understand or can't do without teaching them first. Of course this leads to frustration and anger in both me and my kids.

God impressed on my heart the need to differentiate between weakness and laziness. Then to be ready to help when my kids don't know how to do something. In that way I would be admonishing my own idleness!

My prayer is for God to give the wisdom and discernment needed in each situation so that I would know how care for my kids in the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment